Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Where do I hide you, Mr. Hyde?

How do I name it? What do I want to write? What is the picture above? I'll take that one. I see a neatly dressed man drowning calling out to the heavens reaching out into emptiness. Doesn't he see a tube around him ? Thats my point. Look closely. Its the tube that is strangling him and not the water winking at him. From the days of Jekyll and Hyde I have believed people live 2 characters. Not that I hate Hyde and adore Jekyll, but every person's Hyde ain't violent. Hyde is the evil the society finds unacceptable in you. We unashamedly hide the Hyde and deify the Jekyll to achieve our ends, gain acceptability. Can the principles I built through my formative years be check-mated to assuage a society's aging customs?

I cant help but compare my situation to the picture above. I still remember I was a small kid when I was thrown into the river. I was drowning and desperately called for help. They didn't answer my call. They wanted me to learn to swim. Thats life! Learn to live it! When they saw I was struggling and had learnt to beat my hands and legs along, they threw in a tube. I was more than happy. Not only was I saved, I began enjoying the river. I knew I wouldn't drown. They knew I wouldn't drown. I was having the time of my life. They were happy I was. Now comes the hitch. They feed you, shower you with all the love and affection, money as well. You start growing and the tube seems to shrink. You have learnt to swim and want to explore the river. Not only is the tube too weak to float and show you places, it has started to strangle you. I again reach out and call for help. I get the same answer. Thats life! Learn to live it! What do I do? I can cut the tube and risk taking a path unknown exploring beautiful places I dreamt of but no one will throw a tube again.

What am I going to do? Where am I going to? I don't have a definitive answer to that. Will I be one among the hypocrites who crib and go the same way or be a path breaker and eventually end up a loser? Loser? Yes you will be!! Take it from me. Before deifying the likes of Gandhiji for whom I have the highest regard in the last century, just look at the society that bred him. It was an uneducated lot yearning for a leader. This is a time, everywhere you look you will find only leaders who strategise but hardly a person who will work. Its the age of cell phones, mini skirts and discotheques; wine tasting parties, sea-facing flats, exotic vacations in the Europa. What do I do to sustain such a lifestyle? Be one of them or risk being called a loser.

Where do I bury you, Mr. Hyde? Where do I hide you? Where would your soul Rest In Peace if I choose to bury you or Rust In Peace should I choose to hide you? Please help me!!!!!!

Amen!!!

No comments: