Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Virtue Verity and Virginity

Disclaimer: All the characters in the story are fictional and bear no resemblance to anybody living or dead. In an attempt to challenge the writer within I might have created characters but the feelings and the emotion exuded are true to my conscience and are as I would have reacted to such a situation. My long absence from this arena was because this is a script I have rewritten many times over and made it less stimulating and more appealing


There are very few elements in this world that I am allergic to and one of them is the shrill shriek of a telephone especially during one of those happy afternoon naps. The other being a kick from my sister when I dont pick it up. Isnt there something called respecting elders? But I was bothered about something else today. Well!! Not today but the whole of the last week. All this was playing in my mind when I spoke into the phone with a gruff voice. " I have been trying to reach you for a whole week and get no response. Either you are not in or nobody picks up. What have you been upto?" Dont I just love her voice? Why does she have to be so lovely and caring? Am gonna have to reciprocate it. I'll tell her today. This is it!! " Not my fault!! I was broke the entire week. So couldnt call you back. You know I dont have an STD connection at home. " That was fast!! Fast!! My foot. Why dont you just tell her what it is?. " You sound changed. I hope it isnt anything to do with me." Nonsense!! Its got everything to do with you. " Are you crazy!! Dont be nuts!! You are the best thing that ever happened to me. But you know its just that kind of strange ideas I have been having over the past week I dont know how to comprehend them. I mean I am able to but doesnt make sense to me." Why dont you just apologise to her about that night and say you just didnt mean it, you egomaniac. "Was it something about the other night" she asked in a low tone. Hang on!! She hasnt spoken to you like this. She has apparently misunderstood it. Hang on!! Dont go for it!! Hold on!! " Well yes and no. I mean I was just thinking events are moving faster than we are. We should probably spend more time trying to understand each other." " I knew it!! Why couldn't you be open about it. If you had insisted we could have done it as well. All you guys are the same!! How cheap!!" and a thud. Blank!! What could we have done? It took me a moment to get her. Oh Fuck!! What have I done!! It wasn't supposed to end this way!! I just have to learn more than to just blindly dismiss my alter-ego. You are an egomaniac

Same Day Same Time Two weeks Before:

"I am surprised you are still awake. Isn't this your happy afternoon nap time?" Why do moms always have to be correct? "Are you crazy? Lazy people sleep off afternoons. I got my exams in a month. And you better close that door when you go. I don't want you house folks fighting when am having my classroom sessions on the phone." "Dont bark at me!! I just wanted to find out if you will be available for Inder's marriage next weekend. Shall I book tickets for you as well. " "Oh ok!! You must mean Inder's auction. Sell him off to the highest bidder and jail him for life. You think I would want to be part of that nonsense. You must be joking. With exams coming up ask him if he can donate me some of his auction money for getting the question papers." There is one more thing I am allergic to - marriages. "You will never change. I pity your wife." she said closing the door softly. Treeng!! What timing!! I knew who it is!! "Helloooooo" I said lazily into the phone. " Oh!! I hope I didn't disturb you!!" " Nopes you didn't. You know!! I just love these afternoon naps. If there is just anything else I love, it is just you disturbing me." How very mundane and unromantic!! " How sweet!! You know I love these naps as well. We share a lot in common." Oh we do? I never knew!! "Guess what I am coming down to Bangalore next weekend for Preity's marriage." I just love her tone when she gets excited. She's so very sweet. "I am just hoping you can make it as well. I really want to spend some time with you together." Spend some time together alone in a marriage!! Man!! She's buying you!! Don't go for it!! " Marriage!! You nuts!! How did you ever think I'll give it a miss? I just love marriages and have never seen a Kannadiga one. You bet!! I am coming!!" Why do these SOBs never change!! " She's not a Kanadiga. We are committed for god's sake. Why do you have to still try and impress me." Hahahah!! You better get your facts straight man!! I hung up and let a huge smile. I just love her. Reliving those moments when I proposed to her and her sweet little answer 'Why did it take you so long' gets me into deep trances. "Oops!! Did I just disturb your happy afternoon naps?" " Oh!! Not at all mom, come on in. I was just thinking hard. After all Inder is one of our relations. Wouldn't it be bad if I didn't attend his marriage?" "Oh you mean auction!! No not at all!! How could he do such a thing!! Don't worry I can convince people around there." she said with a wry smile on her face. " Oh!! If you mean the marriage am definitely not coming to it. I have a friend in IIM Bangalore to meet up. I'd probably attend the reception. That pretty much vindicates my stand." What a stupid reason!! You are one idiot I fail to comprehend!! What did I do to deserve such a nagging and irritating alter ego. I thought you were my companion. It doesn't seem to be so.


Same Day Same Time One week Before:

This is crazy!! I have been in this place for just half hour and I have assumed roles of a maid servant a photographer and a pujaari. What versatility!! I have to put up with it. Ahh!! Finally lunch. After lunch we went places together. I made the most of it. Tried to get as close to her as possible. In her soft little hands I found a nerve which directly led to her sweet heart. I clung on to that like a life saver. Suddenly I felt lost in a sheath of ice which smelt so very good. One more thing I like about her is that she always insists we go dutch. 50-50? Not at all!! I empty my pocket and she hands out a note. Well she has never really let me feel bad about it as she always receives the bill and adjusts the amount she tells me. I just love her for it notwithstanding the fact that I wasn't being a gentleman. "I was just thinking we can spend the evening together as well and have dinner with my friends." Oh No!!! Not them!! They are such a pain!! People at the reception would be better!! Buzz off man!! Your mom is waiting!! " Oh sure!! They are such wonderful company."

THE EVENING

A birthday cake with two candles on top with food around!! They probably misunderstood candle light dinner!! The birthday of a friend in a guest house!! Just awesome!! " You can stay here overnight if you choose to. We can talk all night long. Its been a long time away from my friends as well. So all four of us can make a campfire tonight in the garden." "Well I am not sure if I am up to it cos I really got to be going!!" The giggles of laughter really got me embarrassed. She was there to help me once again. "We have got two rooms, two gals and two guys here. We gals can take one room and you can take the other." I always fall for her sweet little smile. That night was probably one I would remember and cherish for a long time. All the four of us really jelled together and it was awesome pulling each others legs. I was seated beside her with her hands on mine. She didn't seem to want to let go of it. It gave me a feeling of self importance. I beamed with joy that was short lived. The topic soon moved on to northie vs southie discussions and thrived upon my chickening out this evening. I as usual was at my aggressive self saying reasons which would have been quashed by a 10 year old. The discussions slowly became gestures. I noticed that she was no longer beside me but was nearly over me engrossed in her attack. I didn't notice it as well as I was busy defending my state's pride as if it needed me badly. Guys!! They never accept defeat!! Why don't you just accept you chickened out!! I saw I was fast failing and was looking for something to fall back on. In a fit of self rage in one sweeping motion I took her head from behind made her face me face-to-face and kissed her sweet little lips. It felt like heaven. My lips, for the first time, received a guest other than my tongue and gladly let her in as well. I told you I didn't chicken out!! Getting a jolt I suddenly withdrew and tightly closed my eyes. Oh!! Please don't!! " That was something!!" Amidst applauses I lit up my eyes and found her blushing and rushing inside. No!! What have I done!! This cant be reality!! I was just fighting it out with my alter ego!! I wasn't chickening out!! It took some time for me to realize that it was reality indeed!! Our conversation continued for some time half of it meeting two oblivious ears. Finally when we decided quits I went into her room to tell her how I felt about it. She was sleeping(or so I thought). I closed in on our gap, mildly touching her shoulders not knowing what to tell her. She turned, her eyes wide open. " I don't think we should be doing this." " Well you probably are right!!" I returned slowly closing the door after me. Am I into another one of my trances? Why couldn't I have just stayed back?

THEREAFTER

It has been two months now. Its my birthday today. Will she or wont she? I waited the whole day and was getting restless. That was probably one of the very few birthdays I disliked. A rather uneventful day passed by with just a one liner saying happy birthday on YM. She sucks!! She just sucks!!

One more month passed by and my frustration levels had peaked. I was not able to concentrate. I had refused any body's offer to intervene. If at all this is resolved, I shall do it. the egomaniac I am. It was her birthday. I had decided this was going to be it. Its either now or never. I don't care!! She is a nobody to me. I am just gonna tell her I wasn't wrong and hang up. I don't love her anymore. Are you being true to yourself? Oh!! I am . Thats the truth. Nobody wants to hear the truth. I took the phone dialed her number and just waited for the ring. God!! Please!!! The engaged tone!!! Please!!! I pray to you!!Treeng!! "Hellooo" her voice still had the same magic. I didn't respond. There was a sob that could faintly be heard. " I am sorry. I just wanted to tell you I had nothing else in mind. Am sorry if I hurt you." She said only one thing and hung up " I love you." It was amazing. One phone call had resolved it all.

She is no longer with me now, but I cherish her dreams. The next two months we were very close to each other and those were the best days of my life. Looking back I found three words which have been hard to define and very confusing. Virtue, Verity and Virginity

Was I virtuous? I was. I really didn't have anything else in mind and I did make an attempt to patch things up. Lesson: Most important thing.
Was I truthful? I probably was. Wrongly at certain times. But it did pay off. I don't know if we could have got any closer if not for that period of separation. Lesson: Verity does pay off
Was I concerned about virginity? Hell no. Man!! thats just a short lived desire. It does no man any good. I have realized more joy in her company than probably thinking otherwise. Lesson: You can always whack off!! There are other small pleasures that stay with you for life.

Written and Directed by,
Batty

No comments: