Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Damn the critics, rock on!!!

Not everyone lives his dream, but keeping it alive completes your life - Rock On

At the outset, I wanna clarify that this is not a review of the movie, but should it be considered so, I still cant believe I beat Atlee to it.

Jokes apart, it was a tough weekend. The Bangalore trip was hectic and drained me, though the rum turned on my reserves. One of the paradoxes of living in your hometown is the loneliness factor. You have a defined set of friends whose tastes you already know and you really dont feel like moving out to make new friends. Its been quite some time since I went out with a girl. I pondered a while and took my phone. "Rock On chalna hai?" "Kyon, koi laundiya nahi mili kya" " Abe! Chod na, chalna hai ki nahi bol...Dimaag mat kha". One of the problems of inviting Ramesh to a movie is his vocal criticism of a movie half way through that can put you off. The alternative - try and impress the legal department babe and talk her into the movie. I chose the easier path.

So...the movie... Am not gonna bore you with what the plot is and whos acting was better... thats what all the critics are for. I am just here to damn the critics. Somewhere through this bug of writing reviews and critiquing we have lost sensitivity. I dont expect a film to be logically perfect or a complete surprise package. I expect a film to either entertain me or make me sensitive. So what if its a rehash of old masalas.

Lets take the points of criticism one-by-one
1. There was no humor in the film. It was all too serious - Am sorry! Were you expecting Laurel and Hardy
2. It was immature and unrealistic - Yeah, the last I heard all the college bands got to produce their own albums
3. It was way too subtle - I didnt mind it. In an era where Indian films are characterized by adjectives like dramatic and loud, I appreciate a difference however extreme.
4. The plot is predictable - So? A film is supposed to be about moments - moments that make you smile, cry and say - yeah thats me. I dont mind knowing where the film is heading as long as I want to go in that direction along with the film.

I still vaguely remember wanting to be a TV News reporter when I was a kid. I always used to watch the news channels over and over again. After watching it I used to go to the mirror and say - Till next time its goodbye and goodnight from all of us. I used to write a lot of letters to the editor and post it. The next day I would wake up and turn to the editorial only to hang my head down. But soon it became a regular feature. I slowly started seeing the penultimate and last pages of the magazine section.

Back to the point - Not everybody has a great dream nor does everybody live his dream. But even today, sometimes I look at myself in the mirror and try repeating a few lines or write about issues I feel deeply about. Just because I didnt make a career out of it does not mean I ditch something I like doing. I like to keep it alive because thats who I am. It may not be my identity to others. But it is to me. I owe it to myself. That is something that completes me.

Go watch Rock on with an open mind and you will relate yourself to it.

Cheers,
Batty


2 comments:

Hemanth said...

Yo Batty !! Well said and well written too !!

I totally agree with your view that people sometimes forget that there is some aspect of a movie which you can actually relate to, the sensitivity that strikes a chord with ones ambition and dreams. I guess this is what happens when you watch the movie as a critique - You overlook the simple aspects.

However, I thought the movie could have been better. Dont know why, but felt that something was missing, may be the fun element as in DCH! Farhan Akhar could have done much better with the scenes and the dailogues!

atlee said...

Ditto!!

I realised it myself...Writing reviews can get into ur head sometimes...

But yes, Rock On...was like a shadow of DCH...and one of my friends pointed out..it was a mix of DCH and Jhankar Beats...